18 June 2006

James River Batteau Festival Day One


As many of you know, I have been participating in the James River Batteau Festival for quite some time. This year marks the 21st event, and the batteaux departed from Lynchburg on Saturday June 17th at Noon. My parents canoed from Lynchburg (Percival's Island) to the Joshua Falls boat ramp...about 10 miles. After purchasing groceries and a new dry bag, I met them at Joshua Falls ramp in Campbell County at about 3:30pm. I took the canoe from there to the first night's stop between Galts Mill and Stapleton in Amherst County.

I stopped at Joshua Falls in order to watch the batteaux come through this section. Joshua Falls is formed by the remnants of a dam that was used to funnel water into the James River & Kanawha Canal, I believe. This area is the first real test of maneuvering ability that the boats get, as the batteauman on the front sweep (often the captain) has to locate rocks and appropriate routes and then position the batteau so that it will head in the proper direction. The crew member on the rear sweep has an equally important job, as the stern (rear) must follow the bow (front) of the boat in just the right way.

After the Peaks Shadow passed the falls, I paddled after them, and stayed with that batteau for the rest of the day. The crew of that boat have also operated the Nekoosa, Frank Padgett, and Ole Sam, which I have crewed on occasion. We arrived at a field on river left between Galts Mill and Stapleton around dinnertime, and enjoyed a BBQ meal provided by Amelon Methodist Chuch. I slept under the stars, which were beautiful that evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home